News

·

August 17, 2026

Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman, Rebrands Ballroom as Bunker

In one day, Trump threatened military action against a US ally and told the Supreme Court his White House ballroom is actually a national security necessity. Different stories, same playbook.

B

Badis Jlassi

·

RNN Originals

·

1,258

Trump threatens military action against Oman meanwhile rebrands White House ballroom as bunkerImage Credit : Irish Times


Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman, Rebrands Ballroom as Bunker

Two completely unrelated Trump stories broke within a day of each other this week, and yet they rhyme in an uncomfortable way. In one, the president threatened to bomb a longtime US ally over a shipping dispute. In the other, his administration quietly swapped the justification for a $400 million White House construction project from "we need somewhere nice to host guests" to "this is a matter of national security." Different stakes, different continents, same underlying move: when the original explanation stops working, escalate the stakes instead of answering the question.

Loading tweet preview…



What Trump Actually Said About Oman

In a phone interview with Fox News' Trey Yingst on Monday, Trump was asked about ongoing talks between Iran and Oman over managing traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. His answer left little room for interpretation: "If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the s*** out of them." Pressed further by reporters in the Oval Office later that day, Trump added that Oman "hasn't behaved very well," but that "we'd handle them very easily, just like we do other things." It's the second time this year Trump has threatened Oman specifically; he made a similar threat in May, telling ABC News during a Cabinet meeting that the strait must not fall under any single nation's control.



Why Oman, and Why Now

The timing isn't incidental. Monday marked the expiration of the 60-day memorandum of understanding the US and Iran struck in June to work toward reopening Hormuz and ending the broader war, a deadline that passed with no deal in sight. Iran's Foreign Ministry said the same day that Tehran had reached an understanding with Oman on a transit-route map for the strait, effectively negotiating a settlement that would sideline Washington's own preferred outcome, one where the US retains leverage over the waterway rather than Iran and Oman managing it bilaterally. Shipping traffic through Hormuz has cratered to just 13 vessels over the entire weekend, according to tracker MarineTraffic, compared with roughly 130 daily transits before the war. Threatening Oman, a longtime US strategic partner and member of the Gulf Cooperation Council with no combat role in this war at all, reads less like a policy position and more like an attempt to blow up a deal Washington wasn't part of.



A Senator Is Already Moving to Box Him In

Virginia Senator Tim Kaine, who has spent years pushing to limit unilateral presidential war powers, said Monday he plans to introduce a resolution barring military action against Oman once the Senate returns from its August recess. Kaine, a member of both the Foreign Relations and Armed Services Committees, said he hopes to find Republican co-sponsors to "check this blindly stumbling power-drunk President from inflicting more damage on the U.S." It's a continuation of a fight Kaine has waged since the war with Iran began, having already filed a formal war powers resolution earlier this year demanding a congressional vote before any further military escalation.



Meanwhile, a Very Different Kind of Escalation at Home

On the same day this Oman story was unfolding, a separate Trump story was gaining traction: the administration's shifting explanation for why it needs to keep building its $400 million White House ballroom, despite a federal appeals court ordering construction halted by August 21 without congressional approval. When Trump first unveiled the project, he described it plainly as space to host visiting world leaders, since the White House lacked a room large enough and had been forced to erect tents for state functions. That's not the argument being made anymore. In a Supreme Court emergency filing, the administration's solicitor general described the same project as an "integrated military complex, including a totally secure ballroom space," calling it "vitally required by national security" and arguing that halting construction mid-build would create "a veritable obstacle course for the Secret Service."



The Legal Reframe Isn't Subtle

The shift matters because national security claims carry real legal weight that a vanity renovation simply doesn't. Courts have historically given the executive branch significant deference on national security matters, and the administration's own filings acknowledge exactly why that framing is now attached to a project originally announced with renderings emphasizing gold leaf and a 650-seat guest capacity, not hardened bunkers. Legal analysts covering the case have noted the irony directly: the administration is essentially asking the Supreme Court to treat a project it spent a year publicly marketing as an architectural upgrade as something closer to a classified defense installation, once the original justification stopped being legally sufficient to keep the bulldozers running.



The Common Thread

Neither story is really about Oman or a ballroom on its own terms. Both are about what happens when an initial justification, whether for a foreign policy position or a domestic construction project, runs into resistance it wasn't built to survive. Oman didn't do anything to Washington; it negotiated its own arrangement with a neighbor, and the response was a threat of military force against an ally rather than a diplomatic counteroffer. The ballroom didn't need to become a bunker on paper until a federal appeals court said the original justification wasn't legally sufficient to keep building without Congress. In both cases, the goalposts didn't just move, they moved toward the one category of justification, national security, that's hardest for anyone outside the administration to challenge.



Conclusion

Whether the Supreme Court buys the "military complex" reframing, and whether Kaine can actually find Republican votes to formally constrain the Oman threat, are genuinely open questions that will play out over the coming weeks. What's already clear is the pattern connecting them: pressure applied from outside, whether a court ruling or a rival diplomatic deal, getting met not with a direct answer but with a bigger claim that's harder to argue against. It's a small thing to notice a bomb threat against a US ally and a rebranded construction filing happening on the same news cycle. It's a bigger thing to notice they're using the exact same playbook.

Topics Covered

#donald trump
#oman
#strait of hormuz
#white house ballroom
#tim kaine

Discussion

Join the conversation

What's your read on this? Share your take with the community below.

Today in History

On August 17, several notable moments in the history of donald trump stand out. In 949, Li Shouzhen, Chinese general and governor passed away. In 1946, Patrick Manning, Trinidadian-Tobagonian politician, 4th Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago (died 2016) was born. In 1947, Mohamed Abdelaziz, Sahrawi politician, President of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (died 2016) was born. In 1971, Uhm Jung-hwa, South Korean singer and actress was born. In 1985, The 1985-86 Hormel strike begins in Austin, Minnesota. In 1988, President of Pakistan Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq and U.S. Ambassador Arnold Raphel are killed in a plane crash. In 1988, Jihadi John, Kuwaiti-British member of ISIS (died 2015) was born. In 1988, Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq, Pakistani general and politician, 6th President of Pakistan (born 1924) passed away. In 1998, Tadeusz Ślusarski, Polish pole vaulter (born 1950) passed away. In 2015, A bomb explodes near the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok, Thailand, killing at least 19 people and injuring 123 others. Together, these milestones provide historical context for today's donald trump news and ongoing narratives. More